Monday, March 27, 2006

How about that!!

I now feel like a "real" dad. This past weekend I taught my daughter how to ride a bike!! May not be a big deal for some people, but I can't tell you how proud I was of my little girl!!

A little background to start. When she was about 3, she was riding her tricycle around the garage of the place we were living. The driveway was long and sloped down to the street. I turned my back for about 10 seconds and she was FLYING down the driveway. "Weeeeeeeee!!!", she was screaming. When I grabbed her off the trike, it kept going into and across the street immediately follow by a car. Needless to say I was scared to death, making her scared as well.

When she got a little older, we bought her a bike with training wheels. She had absolutely no interest. So this year for her 10th birthday, we asked her if she would like a bicycle. Suprisingly she said yes, so last Saturday we went and she picked out a bike and a lock(she wants to ride it to school).

When we got home we went over to the school, it has lots of space on the playground for easy manueverability. I couldn't believe my eyes....after about 20-25 minutes she was riding all by herself!!!! Now I want to tell you, I am extremely proud of my daughter already, but the effort she put into that day was amazing; focus, attention, listening(it helped that I didn't raise my voice at all!!).

I am so proud of her, she overcame her fears of riding a bicycle and now thats all she wants to do after school!! She has big plans for this summer: riding to the park, to the store, anywhere there's pavement, she wants to ride.

I guess the biggest thing is, I now feel like a real Dad. It may sound corny, but teaching a kid how to ride a bike has always seemed like "the" parental thing that you do. Imparting your knowledge and mastery of the 2 wheeled beast to your child. The best part is, she actual loves it. I knew she would, what kid doesn't love the freedom that a bike gives? A sense of responsibility and freedom from your parents, you can go anywhere(if your parents let you) you want to without a care in the world. Kinda makes you want to be a kid again doesn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home