Monday, January 23, 2006

I'm going to quit smoking

I finally did it. Yes, I am a smoker. Have been for the past 16 years. About one pack a day. I would hate to add all that money up to see just how much of it "went up in smoke"(pun intended). I want to be able to play volleyball and other things with my daughter when she gets older, not to mention the instantly added health benefits from not smoking.

Last week I made an appointment with the health district and today was my first "session". My counselor calls himself(maybe everyone calls him) "Bear". Maybe its a play on words, cuz he is a little guy! I went in with an open mind, because you never know what to expect from something like that. Glad I did.

He didn't give me statistics, tell me about all the horrible things that happen to your body when you smoke, or tell me to change my daily habits/routines. He's all about the joy and happiness. Now I'm really not the feel good type person. But the more he talked about happiness and, get this, actually enjoying your happiness, the more sense it made. Towards the end of our first session, he told me one thing that really hit home, and I think will work for me, about quitting smoking:

DON'T MOPE ABOUT! REJOICE!

That makes more sense to me than anything I have ever heard about quitting this horrible habit!! Wish me luck.....for some crazy reason, I don't think I'll need it though...I'll update on this when I can..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home