Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I'm Lucky

I have been a very lucky person. Until about 6 years ago, I had all 4 of my grandparents alive and well. Both of my Grandmothers have passed away, and on Thanksgiving day, I lost my first Grandfather.

It was difficult losing my Grandmothers, I loved them both dearly. They each taught me life lessons in different ways. Tough, stern, yet always giving unconditional love and I miss them both everyday. There's something different about being a man and losing your Grandfather.

My Granpa Grego was 91 when he left, a veteran of World War II, a POW at that. He was one of a kind. My favorite thing to do was ague with him about sports. How he loved the Kansas City Royals and Chiefs. He taught me how to shoot the 2-handed set shot in basketball(not used much anymore, but at about 65 years old he was a dead eye inside 20 feet!). I now live in Colorado, and didn't get to spend a lot of time with him. Holidays, when we were back, and a day or two here and there when we were dropping my daughter off to spend time with my family in Missouri.

I think he was waiting to see me before he left. We arrived on Wednesday afternoon and spent about an hour and a half with him, and I told him I would be back in the morning to see him again. Although he was unconscious, lungs filling with fluid, I think he heard me. Thursday morning when I arrived, the Hospice workers were there checking on him. God bless them and the work they do. When she was done checking on him he opened his eyes...Just for an instant, seeming to look right at me. I would like to think he was, but who knows for sure.

The Hospice workers went to roll him over, to try and keep one lung from totally filling with fluid, and I was watching.....His breathing seemed to come slower, he gasped...Very softly....I noticed no breath came after that gasp, just another soft gasp and a look of peace, no pain, and he left us. Almost as if he was waiting to see me, or at least hear me one last time.

Fathers are larger than life to most men, mine is. Grandfathers are indestructible icons when you are a child, and I don't think that perception every changes. It never has for me.

I have one Grandfather left, one last link to the past. He has good days and bad, I don't get to see him as often as I like, or probably should. You talk about indestructible Icons...When they made him, HE broke the mold.

My Grandparents were part of the Greatest Generation; World War II, the depression, neither of these things stopped them, just made them stronger. We lose too many of these great people on a daily basis. If you get the chance or opportunity, thank them. They are the ones who have perservered through more in their lives than any of us could ever imagine. Men and Women alike. I miss my Grandpa, and my Grandmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home